Portola is a 1:1 school. All learners at PHS receive a Chromebook upon enrollment in school and completion of required paperwork.
Parents have the option to purchase a $20 insurance from IUSD to cover accidental damage and theft. This is a one-time cost for the school year to cover potential incidents like cracked screens, missing keyboard keys, damaged plastics, liquid spills, and theft.
Without insurance, typical repair costs for things like a broken screen or keyboard can range from $30-75 depending on the damage to the device and the total replacement cost of a Chromebook is over $200. Our goal is to ease concerns about damage to devices and continue to support a sustainable take-home program for our schools.
- You may also purchase a cover for $25 in the PTSA student store.
- If your learner’s charger is lost, you must purchase a new one from the Learning Commons. Please do NOT purchase third-party chargers.
- If you need technical support for the PHS Chromebook, you may speak to our site's Computer Support Specialist Vincent Lavang.
Summer Chromebook Policy
Thank you for all of your support this year with our 1:1 Chromebook program. As we plan for the next school year, we will allow learners to keep their PHS Chromebook over the summer and for the duration of the time that they attend Portola.
Learners may keep the Chromebook over the summer and into the next school year UNLESS:
- Your learner is NOT returning to Portola HS in the Fall.
- You purchased a device for your learner and they no longer need the Chromebook. Have them return the PHS Chromebook as soon as possible to the Learning Commons.
- You do not want your learner to keep the Chromebook over the summer. It will need to be returned to the Learning Commons before your learner leaves for summer break. We will recheck this same device out to them when they return to school.
If you need technical support for the PHS Chromebook over the summer, you may email our site's Computer Support Specialist, Vincent Lavang, at VincentLavang@iusd.org